Saturday, July 26, 2014

The "What If?" Doll Gets a New Hairdo - Part 1

Good morning! I'm popping in with a dolly update.

Yesterday, I began the process of adding extra hair to my Monster High Abbey Bominable doll. First, I tried rooting the new hair with my wooden bulb rooting tool, which was left over from my reborning days. Unfortunately, the fine gauge needle slipped and slid across the section of hair I was attempting to root. Thinking maybe I was just out of practice, I kept trying. Still, the tool wouldn't work.

Clearly it was time to ask for advice. I recalled how the fabulous John Maglio of Rainy Day Repaints had added colored strands to a Satin Sheen Prudence doll (Wilde Imagination). So, I messaged John and asked which tool he used for rooting. He directed me to a metal tool on DollyHair.com. I ordered one, but it hasn't shipped yet. Impatient to make some progress on my "What If?" doll, I searched online and found tips on using a regular needle with the end of the eye snipped off. I put the needle in my bulb rooting tool and have been happily rooting ever since.

I have a very long way to go before her hair is finished, but once it's fully rooted, I will trim and style it before stripping off her factory face paint. After that, the super fun part comes: giving her a new face. Thanks to my friend, Abby Markov, I already have an idea of how I want her to look.

In the picture below, you can see a portion of the hank of hair I'm using, along with my makeshift rooting tool. As you can see, her hair is already beginning to look fuller.



Today, I will continue working on adding more hair. I'll be back in a day or two to share her trim and restyle.

What do you think of the colored hair I chose? Have you ever rooted a doll's hair? 

See you soon!

Dolly hugs,

Trenda Marie

2 comments:

  1. Oh, loving the colors!

    Had no idea how hair was rooted before - neat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you like the colors. Once you get into a rhythm with the rooting, it becomes almost meditative. Loving it!

      Delete